About Our Chapter
NCL, Inc., Azalea Chapter is a group of mothers and daughters who have come together in a commitment to community service, leadership development and cultural experiences.
Members shall reside in Katy ISD. Like all NCL, Inc. Chapters, Azalea aims to foster the mother-daughter relationship by serving its communities together.
Our Chapter History
In the spring of 1999, three women, Betsy Steer, Melinda Moore, and Laurie Mai, shared a common goal of starting a second National Charity League, Inc. chapter in the Katy area. They wanted to do volunteer work with their daughters, but the Katy Chapter was full. The three women rallied 12 others to meet with them and an officer from NCL, Inc. headquarters. The women met the criteria for forming the new chapter, and all those attending took leadership roles in the new organization. When they discussed what name to adopt, Betsy Steer remembers looking out her window and seeing her azaleas in bloom. The name was unanimously agreed upon. Early meetings were held at a funeral parlor on Kingsland Blvd., and the first Tea was held at the Equestrian Center.
Our goal in the Azalea Chapter of NCL, Inc is to promote a sense of community responsibility in our daughters that will perpetuate a lifetime of service. Through our volunteer work, we hope to make the world a better place.
Join Our Chapter
For any questions regarding Membership, requests for transfers or assistance with connecting as a Sustainer, email us.
Mothers and their daughters (grades 7-12) participate in a program that embraces:
- Alzheimer’s Association
- American Heart Association
- American Red Cross
- Disaster Response
- Hangar Unity Center
- Houston Food Bank
- National Day of Service – Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service – January 16, 2023
- Operation Gratitude
- President: Heather Danek
- President Elect: Katherine Galpin
- Secretary: Dawn Kress
- Treasurer: Jana Coates
- Parliamentarian: Cathleen Pittman
- Vice President Communications: Elizabeth Reese
- Vice President Membership: Rachel Shaffer
- Vice President Philanthropy: Maria Kemner
- Vice President Provisionals: Elizabeth Hanson Walker
- Vice President Ticktockers: Angela Noto
- Vice President Chapter Engagement and Inclusion (formerly Vice President Patroness Activities): Veronica Brown