Leave A Legacy
Legacy giving can make a huge difference for NCL while giving you an excellent tax advantage! Read the information below the donation link to better understand your options. If you have any questions or would like to explore other ways to make a legacy gift, please contact Katie Earnhart at email@example.com.
Donation of Securities Form Download >
What are Appreciated Non-Cash Assets?
• Real Estate and Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT)
• Stocks and Bonds
• Private Equity
• Certificates of Deposit (CDs)
Why Donate Appreciated Non-Cash Assets?
If you itemize deductions on your tax return instead of taking the standard deduction, donating these assets can give more impactful gifts. You can potentially eliminate the capital gains tax you would have if you sold the assets yourself and donated the proceeds, which could increase the amount available for charity by up to 20%. You can claim a fair market value charitable deduction for the tax year in which your gift was made and pass on your savings in the form of giving (1).
• Donating appreciated stock is an easy way to give more
• Stock gifts present an opportunity to make a larger impact
Benefits of Stock Gifts
By donating stock that has appreciated for more than a year, you are giving 20 percent more than if you sold the stock and then made a cash donation. The reason is simple: avoiding capital gains taxes (2).
- Donating stock is one of the most tax-smart ways to give.
- Donors can take charitable deductions.
By donating stock rather than selling it, you avoid paying a capital gains tax. A capital gains tax is a tax on the profit made from the sale of a non-inventory asset like stock (2).
• If you donate long-term holdings (stocks held more than one year) and itemize deductions, you can take a charitable deduction for the stock’s fair market value on the day you give it away (2).
• If your stock is currently at a higher value, you can decrease future capital gains by donating stock and buying new shares (2).
- You can give stock without changing your portfolio.
1. Benefits of Donating Appreciated Non-Cash Assets to Charity. Schwab Brokerage
2. 4 Reasons to Donate Stock to Charity. Fidelity Charitable