About Our Chapter
NCL, Inc., Cactus Wren Chapter is a group of mothers and daughters who have come together in a commitment to community service, leadership development and cultural experiences.
Members shall reside in NE Phoenix, NE Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Carefree and Cave Creek. Like all NCL, Inc. Chapters, Cactus Wren aims to foster the mother-daughter relationship by serving its communities together.
In April of 2012, National Charity League, Inc. decided that the Scottsdale area could support an additional chapter. They put an advertisement in the newspaper and held an interest meeting. Eight women decided to embark on the journey to lay the foundation for a new chapter.
Cactus Wren Chapter was fortunate to attract businesswomen who had experience across many sectors. Our Founding Board was comprised of business owners, lawyers, accountants and a graphic designer. Each woman took her position seriously; researching, studying and learning the NCL, Inc. way.
During the Expansion process, the Chapter created its governing documents, filed for non-profit status, established policies and procedures and held an official membership drive while developing its own personality. Unanimously, leadership decided that the Chapter would initially focus its community service projects around young, local philanthropies who had little or no support from other chapters or leagues. National approval for the original three philanthropies partnerships was obtained.
Our first Chapter Kickoff meeting was held on October 26, 2012.
Join Our Chapter
Interested in joining our chapter? A Prospective Member must be sponsored by a current member of our chapter. Membership opportunities are dependent on Chapter openings.
If you know someone in our Chapter, talk to her about getting started, membership obligations and our membership drive timeline. If you do not know someone in NCL, you are invited to complete this Membership Inquiry Form.
For any questions regarding Membership, requests for transfers or assistance with connecting as a Sustainer, email us.
Prospective Members for the Cactus Wren Chapter shall reside in the Northeast Phoenix, North Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Carefree and Cave Creek areas at the time of application and admission Our Membership Drive runs from September 1 – October 31.
Mothers and their daughters (grades 7-12) participate in a program that embraces:
Each NCL, Inc. Chapter promotes social awareness by considering the local community’s needs and selecting appropriate non-profit organizations to serve. Each Chapter then supports its philanthropic service partners through different volunteer activities.
We work with the following philanthropies:
- Ben’s Bells – Liaison: Wendy Okraski
- Chemocessories – Liaison: Diane Frei
- Feed My Starving Children – LIaison: Diane Toci
- Foothills Food Bank: Liaison – Wendy Okraski
- GiGi’s Playhouse – LIaison: Wendy Okraski
- Homeward Bound – Liaison: Elana Kutz
- Hospice of the Valley (HOV) – Liaison: Shannon LeDoux
- MAM (Military Assistance Mission) – Liaison: Elana Kutz
- Mom’s Pantry – Liaison: Diane Frei
- Puppy Luv – Liaison: Mollie Sutherland
- Purse-Impressions – Liaison: Caroline Economopoulos
- Scottsdale Arts – Liaison: Abbie Chapman
- Shoebox Ministry – Liaison: Jenny Patton
- UMOM New Day Centers – Liaison: Diane Toci
- Welcome to America Project – Liaison: Jovannie Gregory
As the only volunteer force of its kind serving the local community, NCL, Inc. and Cactus Wren Chapter allows our mothers and daughters to focus their minds, hearts and talents towards creating a positive change in our community. Last year, our Chapter volunteered over 6,600 hands-on hours directly benefiting our not-for-profit philanthropy partners.
Nurturing confidence through opportunities to learn and grow, while also building problem-solving skills through a supportive environment of healthy relationships.
Examples of skills developed include:
- Consensus building
- Team building
- Conflict resolution
- Event planning
- Parliamentary procedure
- President: Jennifer Hartley
- Secretary: Melody Jones
- Treasurer: Julie Ransom
- Parliamentarian: Eileen Friedman
- Vice President Communications: Tanja Buhay
- Vice President Membership: Kimberly Peshek
- Vice President Patroness Activities: Patricia Coleman
- Vice President Philanthropy: Caroline Economopoulos
- Vice President Provisionals: Kara Stanek
- Vice President Ticktockers: Lisa Iacono
As future leaders, we continually strive to build stronger ties with our communities and the individuals within them. It is through this understanding that we grow and develop broader worldviews that will shape and support our lives.
Mothers and daughters of each class attend a cultural experience together with a focus on different areas of art, theatre, dance and music.
Each Chapter celebrates the richness of its history through traditions that honor the past. The Mother Daughter Tea is an NCL, Inc. tradition. Today, NCL chapters around the country continue to embrace their long-standing traditions, as well as, create new ones.