About Our Chapter
NCL, Inc., Cactus Wren Chapter is a group of mothers and daughters who have come together in a commitment to community service, leadership development and cultural experiences.
Members shall reside in NE Phoenix, NE Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Carefree and Cave Creek. Like all NCL, Inc. Chapters, Cactus Wren aims to foster the mother-daughter relationship by serving its communities together.
In April of 2012, National Charity League, Inc. decided that the Scottsdale area could support an additional chapter. They put an advertisement in the newspaper and held an interest meeting. Eight women decided to embark on the journey to lay the foundation for a new chapter.
Cactus Wren Chapter was fortunate to attract businesswomen who had experience across many sectors. Our Founding Board was comprised of business owners, lawyers, accountants and a graphic designer. Each woman took her position seriously; researching, studying and learning the NCL, Inc. way.
During the Expansion process, the Chapter created its governing documents, filed for non-profit status, established policies and procedures and held an official membership drive while developing its own personality. Unanimously, leadership decided that the Chapter would initially focus its community service projects around young, local philanthropies who had little or no support from other chapters or leagues. National approval for the original three philanthropies partnerships was obtained.
Our first Chapter Kickoff meeting was held on October 26, 2012.
Join Our Chapter
For any questions regarding Membership, requests for transfers or assistance with connecting as a Sustainer, email us.
Prospective Members for the Cactus Wren Chapter shall reside in the Northeast Phoenix, North Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Carefree and Cave Creek areas at the time of application and admission Our Membership Drive runs from September 1 – October 31.
Mothers and their daughters (grades 7-12) participate in a program that embraces:
- Ben’s Bells – Liaison: Wendy Okraski
- Chemocessories – Liaison: Diane Frei
- Feed My Starving Children – LIaison: Diane Toci
- Foothills Food Bank: Liaison – Wendy Okraski
- GiGi’s Playhouse – Liaison: Gina Hansen
- Homeward Bound – Liaison: Sheila Clary
- Hospice of the Valley (HOV) – Liaison: Andrea Hofmeister
- MAM (Military Assistance Mission) – Liaison: Amy Severs
- Mom’s Pantry – Liaison: Diane Frei
- Puppy Luv – Liaison: Mollie Sutherland
- Purse-Impressions – Liaison: Kari Berger
- RMHCCNAZ – Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central and Northern Arizona – Liaison: Allyson Mahmood
- Scottsdale Arts – Liaison: Allyson Mahmood
- Shoebox Ministry – Liaison: Jenny Patton
- UMOM New Day Centers – Liaison: Diane Toci
- Welcome to America Project – Liaison: Angie Bales
As the only volunteer force of its kind serving the local community, NCL, Inc. and Cactus Wren Chapter allows our mothers and daughters to focus their minds, hearts and talents towards creating a positive change in our community. Last year, our Chapter volunteered over 6,600 hands-on hours directly benefiting our not-for-profit philanthropy partners.
- President: Jennifer Hartley
- President Elect: Kara Stanek
- Secretary: Melody Jones
- Treasurer: Julie Ransom
- Parliamentarian: Eileen Friedman
- Vice President Communications: Tanja Buhay
- Vice President Membership: Kimberly Peshek
- Vice President Philanthropy: Caroline Economopoulos
- Vice President Provisionals: Kara Stanek
- Vice President Ticktockers: Lisa Iacono