About Our Chapter
NCL, Inc., Sand Hill Chapter is a group of mothers and daughters who have come together in a commitment to community service, leadership development and cultural experiences.
Members shall reside in or attend school in Menlo Park, Palo Alto or Atherton. Like all NCL, Inc. Chapters, Sand Hill aims to foster the mother-daughter relationship by serving its communities together.
Follow us on Instagram @nclsandhill
Join Our Chapter
Interested in joining our chapter? Membership opportunities are dependent on chapter openings.
If you know someone in our chapter, talk to her about getting started, membership obligations and our membership drive timeline. If you do not know someone in NCL, you are invited to complete this Membership Inquiry Form.
For any questions regarding Membership, requests for transfers or assistance with connecting as a Sustainer, email us.
Mothers and their daughters (grades 7-12) participate in a program that embraces:
We understand and serve communities in partnership with local and national nonprofits. Each NCL, Inc. chapter promotes social awareness by considering the local community’s needs and selecting appropriate non-profit organizations to support through different volunteer activities.
We work with the following philanthropies:
- Hugs for Soldiers
- Alzheimer’s Association
- American Heart Association
- American Red Cross
- Animal Assisted Happiness
- Birthday Party Project
- Boys and Girls Club of the Peninsula (BGCP)
- Disaster Response
- Ecumenical Hunger Program
- Grass Roots Ecology
- Habitat for Humanity – Greater San Francisco
- La Comida
- Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital
- Lytton Gardens
- National Center for Equine Facilitated Therapy
- One Life Counseling
- Open Space
- Operation Gratitude
- Palo Alto Library
- Peninsula Bridge
- Peninsula Volunteers
- Racing Hearts
- Ravenswood Education Foundation
- Restore Native Habitat SF Zoo
- Rise Against Hunger
- Ronald McDonald House Charities
- Second Harvest Food Bank
- Silicon Valley Bike Exchange
- St Francis Centre
- Sunday Friends
- Surfrider Foundation
- The Kindness Campaign
- The Park Champions Progam
- There With Care
- VA Palo Alto Health Care System
- Village Harvest
We build capable, courageous leaders through opportunities to learn, reflect and develop. Our leaders become successful in their education, career and communities by learning the necessary skills during their NCL experience.
Examples of skills developed include:
- Consensus building
- Team building
- Conflict resolution
- Event planning
- Parliamentary procedure
Our Chapter Board of Directors:
- President: Louise Selchau-Hansen
- President Elect: Yvie Casares Willis
- Secretary: Corry Watrous
- Treasurer: Carol Brosious
- Parliamentarian: Allison Chao
- Vice President Communications: Tara Chapman
- Vice President Membership: Purva Singla
- Vice President Philanthropy: Louise Selchau-Hansen
- Vice President Ticktockers: Kathryn Brottem
- Vice President Chapter Engagement and Inclusion: Elizabeth Peters
We preserve National Charity League traditions and core values, while appreciating the growth that comes from connecting with different communities and cultures. We continually strive to build stronger ties with our communities and the individuals within them. It is through this understanding that we grow and develop broader worldviews that will shape and support our lives.
- Traditions – We celebrate the richness of our history through traditions that honor the past while serving the future.
- Values – We embrace values that make us strong as an organization of mother-daughter leaders.
- Community Connections – We build connections through experiences that impact our communities.
- Etiquette – We encourage and mentor kind, respectful and gracious social conduct.