About Our Chapter
NCL, Inc., South Coast Chapter is a group of mothers and daughters who have come together in a commitment to community service, leadership development and cultural experiences.
Members shall reside in Long Beach, Lakewood, Seal Beach, Surfside, Sunset Beach, Rossmoor, Los Alamitos, Cypress, Garden Grove, Westminster, and Huntington Beach, Fountain Valley or Signal Hill areas, attend a school in the Los Alamitos School District or have a daughter attending a school in the Los Alamitos School District. Like all NCL, Inc. Chapters, South Coast aims to foster the mother-daughter relationship by serving its communities together.
THE SOUTH COAST CHAPTER
NCL, Inc., South Coast Chapter is a group of mothers and daughters who have come together in a commitment to community service, leadership development, and cultural experiences. We develop socially responsible community leaders who have a positive impact on the communities where they live.
Today our Chapter has over 300 Provisional, Active and Sustaining Patronesses and Ticktocker members. The South Coast Chapter of NCL has a rich history, with over 60 years of history as a chapter, we’ve established many cherished traditions.
Our unique focus on the mother-daughter relationship while serving the community is the cornerstone of the South Coast Chapter’s success and growth. Mothers and daughters work together as volunteers to support the community while developing as leaders and role models seeking out diverse cultural experiences. Our 6-year program creates strong, confident leaders. Our girls leave NCL with impressive resume credentials for college and beyond!
THE NCL EXPERIENCE
National Charity League, Inc. provides opportunities for mothers and daughters to enjoy both mother-daughter and peer relationships through The NCL Experience.
The NCL Experience inspires and empowers women to succeed as confident, well-rounded, and socially aware contributors in their communities through 3 pillars.
- Community Service: Our desire is to learn what philanthropic needs exist in our community and to help meet those needs whenever possible.
- Leadership: Our intent is to enhance potential leadership skills through team building, problem-solving, mentoring, and group dynamics.
- Cultural: Our goal is to create an environment that nurtures positive identity by recognizing and appreciating the value of differences in each other and the world.
Join Our Chapter
Interested in joining our chapter? Membership opportunities are dependent on chapter openings.
If you know someone in our chapter, talk to her about getting started, membership obligations and our membership drive timeline. If you do not know someone in NCL, you are invited to complete this Membership Inquiry Form.
For any questions regarding Membership, requests for transfers or assistance with connecting as a Sustainer, email us.
Mothers and their daughters (grades 7-12) participate in a program that embraces:
We understand and serve communities in partnership with local and national nonprofits. Each NCL, Inc. chapter promotes social awareness by considering the local community’s needs and selecting appropriate non-profit organizations to support through different volunteer activities.
We work with the following philanthropies:
- Ability First
- Alzheimer’s Association
- American Heart Association
- American Red Cross
- Boys & Girls Club of Cypress
- Casa Youth Shelter
- Children’s Dental Health Clinic
- Disaster Response
- Historical Society of Long Beach
- Jonathan Jaques Children’s Cancer Center
- Katella Manor
- Long Beach Symphony Orchestra
- Los Alamitos Education Foundation (LAEF)
- Meals on Wheels
- Military Reserves
- New Life Beginnings
- Operation Gratitude
- Pathways to Independence
- Precious Life Shelter
- Public Libraries
- Relay for Life
- Ronald McDonald House of Long Beach
- TT Day of Inspiration
- We Care
We build capable, courageous leaders through opportunities to learn, reflect and develop. Our leaders become successful in their education, career and communities by learning the necessary skills during their NCL experience.
Examples of skills developed include:
- Consensus building
- Team building
- Conflict resolution
- Event planning
- Parliamentary procedure
Our Chapter Board of Directors:
- President: Shannon Keany
- President Elect: Amy Payne
- Secretary: Jennifer Mason
- Treasurer: Maria Hernandez
- Parliamentarian: Valerie McCarthy
- Vice President Communications: Michelle O’Brien
- Vice President Membership: Jennifer Cops
- Vice President Philanthropy: Nancy Nien
- Vice President New Members: PJ June
- Vice President Ticktockers: Kirsten Theriault
- Vice President Chapter Engagement and Inclusion: Kimberly Shotwell
We preserve National Charity League traditions and core values, while appreciating the growth that comes from connecting with different communities and cultures. We continually strive to build stronger ties with our communities and the individuals within them. It is through this understanding that we grow and develop broader worldviews that will shape and support our lives.
- Traditions – We celebrate the richness of our history through traditions that honor the past while serving the future.
- Values – We embrace values that make us strong as an organization of mother-daughter leaders.
- Community Connections – We build connections through experiences that impact our communities.
- Etiquette – We encourage and mentor kind, respectful and gracious social conduct.
As future leaders, we continually strive to build stronger ties with our communities and the individuals within them. It is through this understanding that we grow and develop broader worldviews that will shape and support our lives.
Mothers and daughters of each class attend a cultural experience together with a focus on different areas of art, theatre, dance and music.
Each Chapter celebrates the richness of its history through traditions that honor the past. The Mother Daughter Tea is an NCL, Inc. tradition. Today, NCL chapters around the country continue to embrace their long-standing traditions, as well as, create new ones.