About Our Chapter
NCL, Inc., Sunnyside Chapter is a group of mothers and daughters who have come together in a commitment to community service, leadership development and cultural experiences.
Members shall reside in Happy Valley, Clackamas, Damascus, Gladstone and surrounding areas. Like all NCL, Inc. Chapters, Sunnyside aims to foster the mother-daughter relationship by serving its communities together.
WHO WE ARE
National Charity League, Inc. has 286 chapters in 31 states. Founded in 2008, the Sunnyside Chapter is comprised of girls in grades 7-12 and their mothers.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We believe in empowering today’s girls to become tomorrow’s leaders!
National Charity League, Inc. is committed to the development of mothers and daughters as leaders and is dedicated to improving local communities through hands-on volunteerism.
HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS
Mothers (Patronesses) and daughters (Ticktockers) participate in a six-year core program of community service, leadership development, and cultural experiences. This framework takes the girls through an age-appropriate experience based on the following concepts:
- Honoring the mother-daughter bond by learning, growing, and modeling responsibility and graciousness.
- Empowering women and girls with the skills and confidence to lead.
- Nurturing through mentorship.
- Inspiring a legacy of social awareness and compassion.
- Providing depth of support in local communities.
- Leading with integrity and excellence in everything we do.
Members who continue their affiliation with the organization after high school graduation are welcomed throughout their lives as Sustainers. As a result of the NCL Experience, the participants become confident, well-rounded, and socially aware contributors to society.
WHAT WE DO
The Sunnyside Chapter is truly impacting the lives of its members and the surrounding community. In the last five years, members of the Sunnyside Chapter have contributed over 20,000 volunteer hours to our philanthropies.
WHO WE SUPPORT
The Sunnyside Chapter members volunteer for over 20 local philanthropies, serving as a valuable resource for the area. The volunteer work includes a wide range of experiences, from working with animals, assisting the elderly or working with community members with special needs. As a result, our members get out and learn about the community around them!
Join Our Chapter
For any questions regarding Membership, requests for transfers or assistance with connecting as a Sustainer, email us.
Please consider joining the Sunnyside Chapter, National Charity League (NCL), Inc. We are a nonpolitical, nonsectarian, nonprofit organization for mothers and daughters in grades 7-12. Our mission is to foster the mother-daughter relationship in a philanthropic organization committed to community service, leadership development and cultural experiences.
We support a number of local and national organizations. Local organizations we support: Oregon Humane Society Clackamas Bookshelf, Father’s Heart, Feed the Hungry, Wichita Family Support Center, the City of Happy Valley, and Happy Valley Library. National organizations we support: American Cancer Society, Special Olympics, Period – The Menstrual Movement. As you can imagine, we have had to reimagine how we serve our community during Covid! “NCL has helped me and my daughters stay connected with our community throughout Covid. We have enjoyed our class and joint meetings, even on Zoom!” noted one of our members.
Our membership drive for 2022-2023 is now closed. Our membership drive for 2023-2024 will open in Fall of 2023.
Mothers and their daughters (grades 7-12) participate in a program that embraces:
- American Cancer Society
- Annie Ross House
- City of Happy Valley
- Clackamas Book Shelf
- Clackamas River Basin Council
- Father’s Heart Street Ministry
- Feed the Hungry
- Happy Valley Library
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Milwaukie Community Center Foundation
- NCL, Inc. National Philanthropy
- North Clackamas Family Support Center
- Operation Gratitude
- Oregon Food Bank
- Oregon Humane Society
- Period. The Menstrual Movement
- Providence Health & Services
- Second Chance Companions – Animeals
- Special Olympics
- Urban Gleaners
- President: Theresa Sorensen
- President Elect: Brooke Thames
- Secretary: Kerry Mehl
- Treasurer: Kimberly Emery
- Parliamentarian: Sharon Koester
- Vice President Communications: Jennifer Hungerford
- Vice President Membership: Pattie Sandholm
- Vice President Philanthropy: Casey Pfleger
- Vice President Provisionals: Chelsea Radich
- Vice President Ticktockers: Sarah Magura
- Sustainer Liaison: Julie Harvey
Members have opportunities to engage in experiences that build essential skills, such as confidence, consensus, and team building, event planning, conflict resolution and parliamentary procedure. Chapter activities include:
- A six year curriculum ensuring age-appropriate and relevant programming.
- Grade-level meetings run by the Ticktocker daughters.
- Philanthropy projects developed and facilitated by grade-levels.
- Leadership development for Patroness mothers through annual committee assignment.
- Annual leadership and officer training for all members.