About Our Chapter
NCL, Inc., Westside Chapter is a group of mothers and daughters who have come together in a commitment to community service, leadership development and cultural experiences.
Members shall reside in the Los Angeles area loosely defined as the “Westside” area. Like all NCL, Inc. Chapters, Westside aims to foster the mother-daughter relationship by serving its communities together.
The Westside Chapter was founded in 2010 as a Chapter of the National Charity League, Inc. organization. Mary Ruth Schreier, a third generation Ticktocker herself, formed the Westside Chapter with the idea that women need to look after one another in life and that wherever our TT’s or Patronesses may be, they can go to a local chapter for networking, business, social or philanthropic connections.
- Empowering women with the skills and confidence to lead
- Inspiring a legacy os social awareness and compassion
- Providing depth of support in local communities
- Integrity and excellence in everything we do
Join Our Chapter
Interested in joining our chapter? A Prospective Member must be sponsored by a current member of our chapter. Membership opportunities are dependent on Chapter openings.
If you know someone in our Chapter, talk to her about getting started, membership obligations and our membership drive timeline. If you do not know someone in NCL, you are invited to complete this Membership Inquiry Form.
For any questions regarding Membership, requests for transfers or assistance with connecting as a Sustainer, email us.
The membership timeline for the Westside Chapter begins October 1st and concludes January 15th. Typically, we accept applications for incoming 7th, 8th and 9th grades. We will host a prospective member meeting where you will have the opportunity to learn about our three pillars: philanthropy, leadership and cultural experiences. We will also invite you to meet with your sponsor to gain a better perspective of the NCL experience.
Mothers and their daughters (grades 7-12) participate in a program that embraces:
Each NCL, Inc. Chapter promotes social awareness by considering the local community’s needs and selecting appropriate non-profit organizations to serve. Each Chapter then supports its philanthropic service partners through different volunteer activities.
We work with the following philanthropies:
- American Cancer Society Discovery Shop of Santa Monica
- Ballona Wetlands Restoration
- Bread and Roses Cafe
- Heal the Bay
- Mar Vista Family Center
- Meals on Wheels
- NCL Inc. Virtual Events
- One Voice
- Operation Gratitude
- Ronald McDonald Charities
- The Giving Spirit
- Upward Bound House
- Westside Family Health Center
The Westside Chapter supports local philanthropies through hands-on service. Each philanthropy partner serves a specific community, and it is our honor and privilege to work alongside them to deliver assistance to those in need. Mothers and daughters work together in a variety of onsite and offsite volunteer opportunities, many of which are specific to our Chapter. These opportunities include but are not limited to:
- Serving dinner to families in transitional housing
- Volunteering at summer camps for disadvantaged children
- Making Paracord bracelets for soldiers
- Delivering meals to the food insecure
- Assembling survival kits for homeless families
- Working with dogs and cats in shelters
- Cleaning up beach sites
- Supporting our partners’ local events
- Helping with environmental restoration projects
- And baking cookies!
Nurturing confidence through opportunities to learn and grow, while also building problem-solving skills through a supportive environment of healthy relationships.
Examples of skills developed include:
- Consensus building
- Team building
- Conflict resolution
- Event planning
- Parliamentary procedure
- President: Ruby Carlos Doyle
- Secretary: Heather Gilhooly
- Treasurer: Melissa Rawlins
- Parliamentarian: Amy Fink
- Vice President Communications: Jennifer Hranek
- Vice President Membership: Sujie Min
- Vice President Philanthropy: Kristin Sibson
- Vice President Provisionals: Jennifer Taghibagi
- Vice President Ticktockers: Julie Banks
Each girl, at every grade level, holds a class position that she performs throughout a given year. Some of the unique grade specific leadership opportunities include:
- New Member Tea Chair (7th)
- Mom’s Tea Chair (8th)
- Big Sis/Lil Sis Event Chair (9th)
- College Advisor Chair (10th)
- Career Panel Chair (11th)
- Money Management Chair (12th)
As future leaders, we continually strive to build stronger ties with our communities and the individuals within them. It is through this understanding that we grow and develop broader worldviews that will shape and support our lives.
Mothers and daughters of each class attend a cultural experience together with a focus on different areas of art, theatre, dance and music.
Each Chapter celebrates the richness of its history through traditions that honor the past. The Mother Daughter Tea is an NCL, Inc. tradition. Today, NCL chapters around the country continue to embrace their long-standing traditions, as well as, create new ones.
Activities of the Westside Chapter include:
- Cultural Day
- New Member Tea
- Modelette Program
- Chapter Tea and Fashion Show
- Senior Recognition